Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Wk 2 - DP - Geelrys Rice

To be honest when I was first looking at this recipe I was unsure of how it would taste since I didn't try this the last time I was at Animal Kingdom. In the end the cinnamon infused rice and succulent onions with a touch of salt tasted great.



Serves 6
Ingredients:
3 cups Basmati Rice
1/2 cup white onions (small dice)
2 Tbsps. Olive Oil
4 cups water
6 cinnamon sticks
1 tsp. cinnamon powder
1 cup Golden Raisins
1 cup (full) Granulated Sugar
Salt To taste
Pepper To taste
Method
1. In a small pot, saute the onions and spices in olive oil until the onions are translucent.
2. Add water and bring to a boil. Add rice and the rest of the ingredients and cover the pot.
3. Let it cook for about ten minutes then reduce the heat to medium and continue to cook for an additional 25 minutes.

Serve hot.



I purchased Whole Food 365 Indian Basmati Rice.


I used Organic White Onions from Phil Foster Farms/Ranch, which is located in Hollister/San Juan Bautista. In fact a lot of the wood that is turned into wood chips in San Francisco is brought to Phil Foster Ranch as a crucial part of its composting process. $1.69 lb with an Andi Score of 47. 


The Olive Oil I used is Soler Romero organic extra virgin olive oil. It not only carries the USDA Organic seal but it is 100% Organic. The olive oil is made in Spain and was $19.99 for the bottle which was the most expensive individual purchase on this last shopping trip. The olives and processing have always taken place on the same property and have never been outsourced. Soler Romero has been operating since 1850. 


The Cinammon Sticks and Ground Cinnamon I used are from Morton & Bassett, both claim to be 100% Organic (the USDA Organic symbol is optional). The company is based out of San Francisco and has been operating since 1986. I got 9 cinnamon sticks for $5.99 and the ground cinnamon set me back another $5.69. 


I used Golden Raisins and Sugar I had left in the pantry. As I clear out my old pantry products I am trying to replace them with healthier and organic versions. 




What is an ANDI Score?
Basically the ANDI score is based on the analysis of the nutrients in any food. The scales ranges from 0-1000. This doesn't mean that you should only eat high Andi Score items, it just helps the shopper know the level of nutrients in the item, as a variety of items with different scores have different nutrients vital for healthy body functions. Something like Cola for instance is considered to have an Andi Score of 0.6 vs. Kale which would have a value of 1000. 

No comments:

Post a Comment