Monday, January 23, 2012

WK 4 - DP - Quinoa Salad


I have to say I have been really enjoying posting the Disney creations here on the blog but realize the photos are a bit lack luster. As the blog continues on I hope to post more and better quality photos with each recipe. I hope you enjoy my take on the Quinoa Salad from Boma at the Animal Kingdom Lodge as much as I have. 


 
 
 
 

In the end the Quinoa Salad dressing was an all star but the rest of the dish was rather lackluster. I do not think it was the ingredients but my lack of knowledge properly blooming quinoa, or it may have been my selection of Royal Red Quinoa versus a more traditional variety. Either way I will be trying to repeat this recipe this week. Also note that 1/16 cup is the same as 1 tablespoon and 1/8 is 2 tablespoons.

Quinoa Salad
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quinoa & Related Prep
1/8 cup Quinoa
1/16 cup Rice Vinegar
1/16 cup Lemon Juice
1/16 cup Water
1/16 cup Sugar

Dressing
1/16 cup of Dijon Mustard
1/16 cup Rice Vinegar
1/16 cup Honey
1/16 cup Safflower Oil


Salad
1/4 Pear, julienned
1/18 pound Spinach, washed and cleaned

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Place quinoa in the bowl and add water. Let soak for 30 seconds, drain, and set aside.

Make tart stock (vinegar, water, sugar, and lemon juice). Add quinoa. Cook/simmer until quinoa blooms. Drain the quinoa and place on a sheet pan. Let cool in the refrigerator.

To Make the mustard dressing, combine mustard, honey, and rice vinegar. Whip together and add the oil in slowly. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.

Cut the pear into julienne strips. Wash spinach. Mix all the ingredients together - spinach, quinoa, pear, and dressing. Serve. 

Serves 8

No comments:

Post a Comment